Welcome to this article on how to integrate BigBlueButton with Nudgis. This mechanism allows you to automatically import your BBB recordings as MP4 videos into a dedicated channel on your Nudgis platform.
Optimized to work with BBB's official Moodle plugin, it automatically set sub-channels and media titles from the Moodle courses from which they originate, in order to respect your original classification.
In this section, we will look at how to link BigBlueButton to Nudgis, and automatically import content into dedicated channels.
In order to make the BigBlueButton integration work, please check that the following technical requirements are met :
- A Nudgis platform version 12.1+
- A BigBlueButton instance version 2.6+
- Enable the video recording format in the configuration file of your BigBlueButton server
- [Optional] A Moodle platform with the BBB plugin enabled and configured
Setup and link BigBlueButton with Nudgis
First of all, you must enable the video recording format in your BBB platform. To do that, please contact your technical team in charge of the BBB server and share them the instructions to add the "video" format in the official BBB documentation website.
Then, you will need to retrieve the domain URL of your BigBlueButton server, as well as the associated API secret. To find out how to do this, please read the BigBlueButton API documentation.
Once you have these two essential elements, log on as administrator to your Nudgis platform, then go to the Administration panel, accessible from the Menu at the top left of the Nudgis pages. In the "Site settings" section, click on "Integration settings", then choose the BigBlueButton tab :
In the "Credentials" section, enter the domain URL of the BigBlueButton server and its API secret, then save the changes.
The setup is complete ! Now, let's explore the media import settings.
BigBlueButton media import settings
Nudgis allows you to set a number of parameters before uploading your BBB media. These can be found in the "Import settings" section of the integration page mentioned in the previous paragraph. Here you can activate the following options :
- Activate or deactivate the automatic import of media from the BBB server
- Activate a "dry-run", i.e. an attempted connection and simulated import between the two servers, to check that the protocol is working as expected. No video will actually be imported
- Choose the threshold date for imported videos. During the next automatic import, only media created on or after this date will be taken into account
- Choose the start date for the first automated import job
- Choose a delay between each automatic import task, and the value to be applied (hours/days). The minimum possible delay is one hour. The default delay is 24 hours
- Enable or disable transcoding of your media to optimise them for the Nudgis player. To find out more about transcoding rules in Nudgis, please see the article "How do you configure transcoding in Nudgis ?"
- Set the priority of the transcoding tasks in the Nudgis task list. There are three priority settings: Low, Normal and High. Note that the priority will be applied for all media imported from BigBlueButton, and in accordance with the priorities of other tasks on the server. If the priority is set to "High", tasks associated with the automatic import may take precedence over other operations on the Nudgis server. By default, the priority is set to Low
You can access the log of the service managing the import of BigBlueButton media by clicking on "Deamon logs" at the top right of the page
Once your settings have been applied, the import will start on the date you have chosen. However, before you get started, we recommend that you read the last chapter of this article.
Comments and recommendations
The BBB integration in Nudgis is intended to be operated and managed by the platform's administration team, and the media imported into Nudgis from the BBB server follows this logic. This is why Nudgis channels created from Moodle courses are only accessible to administrators at first, to let you keep the original archive intact. You can grant this access to your users as you see fit.
BigBlueButton media import takes into account the names of associated courses and their IDs
On another notice, be careful if you have a large number of videos to import from BigBlueButton, possibly deposited over a long period of time. At first use, we strongly advise you to spread the import over several reasonably spaced operations. To do this, you can use the feature for importing videos created after a given date :
This will allow only media created on and after the specified date to be imported. This is particularly important when importing for the first time, as if you have a lot of media on BBB, importing them en masse could cause serious performance and capacity problems for your Nudgis platform.
If no date is specified, all recordings found on the configured Big Blue Button server will be imported
For instance, if you have configured this integration to run every day between midnight and 8 a.m. (low-usage hours), start by setting this parameter to last week or last month (depending on the amount of content you generate) and let it run once. Then change this parameter to include older videos. Repeat until your entire archive is imported. You can check the logs to see how long the importation took and adjust this setting accordingly.
How to access native BBB replay from the corresponding Nudgis media
Finally, know that you can access the original BBB interactive presentation from the corresponding media on Nudgis. To do this, simply click on the link provided in the video settings in Nudgis, as shown in the screenshot below :
This will open a new window for the media, which will include all the BBB functions.
You have finished reading this article, but do not hesitate to visit our Nudgis section to find out more about the other integrations available on our video platform. We wish you a pleasant use of our solutions !